Engineering at YSU and What it Takes to Make it

Samuel Cappelli, Editor

On April 24th, former Springfield Local valedictorian Hailey Sullivan gave a presentation centered on the Engineering Program at Youngstown State University (YSU) for the Springfield Science Club. Ms. Sullivan is currently working toward a major in Chemical Engineering and plans to double major in Biochemistry with 3 minors accompanying her degrees. She is a member and the future secretary of The Society of Women Engineers, aims to be a Teaching Assistant for the First Year Engineering program next year, and shows great potential to succeed in her future endeavors at YSU.
“College is definitely different than high school.” says Ms. Sullivan. “I’m very happy for choosing YSU’s program… It’s definitely provided me with a lot of opportunities that I might not have gotten at other schools.” During her presentation, Ms. Sullivan explained that she participates in several Engineering related group organizations and has taken part in numerous municipal outreach programs in order to implement her and her colleagues STEM skills into the local community.
When asked for advice for future YSU Engineer hopefuls, Ms. Sullivan went on to say that “If you want to go into Engineering, you have to be very disciplined and self-motivated. And you definitely can’t be afraid to ask questions.” She further emphasized that one of engineering’s main components is problem solving, working with one’s peers and colleagues is essential to building this crucial skill.
Ms. Sullivan’s production was well received by the members of Science Club. “Her presentation was very informative!” says Angie Cotto-Ramos. “She had great pictures and info.” T-Mac also found Ms. Sullivan’s oration to be interesting, specifically stating “Hailey was a very good speaker, her presentation intrigued me.” She covered the basis of what engineering is like at YSU thoroughly yet efficiently, just as an engineer should.
Ms. Sullivan provided additional advice to those planning to attend college. ‘Go to class. A lot of the material is online, but the important information is going to be what you learn from professors.” Going off of that statement, she encourages that one buckles down and does homework. “ You don’t get points, and doing problems over and over might seem redundant but that’s how you learn material.” In addition, Ms. Sullivan discussed the importance of getting out there and getting involved. Not only is it a great way to meet like-minded people and form friendships, it also holds the powerful tool of networking and getting one’s name out there, which can be very useful for finding internships and future careers.