An Open Letter to the Teachers of Springfield

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ryan Lewis, Editor-In-Chief

With incredibly long and difficult training, a poor rate of employment, and increasingly awful pay, I’d say it’s pretty obvious that no one goes into teaching for the money. They go into it because they have passion for their subject, because they care about the future and they care about the kids. Everyone can name at least one teacher who has really changed them and might have even inspired a love for a certain subject. Our teachers strive to be that changing force for their students; the point of this article is to reassure you guys that you’re doing a good job and to thank you for doing so.
I’m sure I’m not the only one who came into freshman year barely interested in any aspects of the education system. And thanks to our teachers, I’ll be leaving Springfield Local High School with a passion for history, a love of reading, and even an appreciation of the institution of Algebra. (Sorry science teachers, it’s not that I don’t like you, I just don’t like science that much). These changes didn’t just randomly hit me one morning; they came from teachers like Mr. Snyder introducing what could be boring concepts on a whiteboard with interesting and fun activities that really imprint the ideas in your mind. I don’t think there’ll ever be a graduate of Springfield who doesn’t look back and remember how Mr. Snyder introduces the trench warfare of World War I or the Red Scare of the 1950’s. And teachers like Mr. Slopek, who manage to not only make stories like Julius Caesar understandable, but also amusing. I can honestly say that I barely read books until after Mr. Slopek hit us with books like Grendel and Deadline. And don’t even get me started on how foreign math problems were until Mrs. Loutitt came into my life and showed me the light. There’s a lot more to talk about, I could talk about how much teachers like Mrs. Mullane, Ms. Fried, and even just a couple weeks with Mr. Simcox in Chiarello’s class have changed how I view so many things.
I don’t have the room here to talk about everything and I don’t need to. This is just one person’s testimonial, and there are another 70 kids in just my grade who feel the same way. Thank you all for taking what you keep telling us would be “an unwise career choice”, because if not for you we wouldn’t be the people we’ve grown into today. Even the few of you that I don’t get along with have helped me become who I am today, and I’m in your debt. I know this might not mean as much to you as a full bank account, but I hope it lessens the sting a little bit. Please don’t ever lose your passions!