Welcome to The Real World

Back to Article
Back to Article

Welcome to The Real World

"I’m a hard worker and when others don’t seem to care, it really bothers me."

Tim Boyle

Tim Boyle

Tim Boyle

Shelby Sandrock, Editor

Do you ever feel like you’re 17 going on 37? I know I do. Let me tell you about my life. I’m 17 and a senior in high school. I’ve been working at Dunkin Donuts since June of 2013. You may not think that a coffee shop is hard work at all, but when you have to get 600+ cars out in less than 100 seconds per car for 8 hours straight, it is honestly very hard. You have to go from taking orders, to specially making coffees for people and trying to remember if the guest wanted sprinkles or not. I believe kids my age shouldn’t have to work. High school is supposed to be the time of your life, why waste it working your life away? I am worn out!

I have worked the craziest shifts. I’m talking  4 am, all summer long. My summer consisted of working at four in the morning, coming home at noon, napping till four and doing things for myself until 10, so I had enough sleep for work the next morning. This was 40 hours a week. Talk about stressed out. I’m also a shift leader. I practically run the store while my manager can’t. I have asked myself so many times, “why am I doing this to myself?” I have been told by my parents from the day I got my license, that I needed a job.  Thus, here I am.

At first it wasn’t so bad because I had money. With money, I bought myself whatever I wanted including food whenever I was out. Now, I have nothing to buy, but I’m still suckered into my job and I can’t seem to get away.  Everyday seems to get worse and worse. I’m to the point where I feel like I have no time for  myself.  I’m a hard worker and when others don’t seem to care, it really bothers me. Sometimes I want to  walk out and never step foot into a work place again.

I think that having a job for high school students is very  challenging.  Some people may say that it’s a good experience to have a job at a  young age because it demonstrates good responsibility and maturity. They don’t take into consideration that the kids have no free time after they are done balancing their classwork and after school activities. It’s harder than many would believe. I just may be different than other student, but I believe that working hard leaves enough time to rest, but hardworking people still use these resting moments to work. So, if you have a choice in the matter, opt out of working during your high school years unless it’s absolutely necessary.