“Swim for the Stars”

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Swim for the Stars”

Hunter Troggio and Kahlea Barricella, Writers

Many don’t know that Mikel Flatley, a student at Springfield Local High School is a swimming star. Some of her accomplishments include first place in the 50 freestyle and 100 butterfly at many local meets including one on January 6, 2016 in Canton against St. Thomas Aquinas, Central Catholic and Cardinal Mooney.
Flatley’s mother was a swimmer and is the coach of Mikel’s swim team. Mikel’s mother has been a huge supporting factor since Flatley was five and first started swimming. This mother-daughter bond through swimming has been an important part of Mikel’s success.
Though do not be fooled, just because her mother is the coach, Mikel doesn’t get to slack off. Mikel keeps herself in competitive shape by working out about 2 hours a day, 4-5 days a week and swimming up to 4 miles every practice. This doesn’t even include the meets she goes to on Saturday. This hard work and determination is what has made Mikel such an amazing swimmer. However, becoming such an outstanding swimmer isn’t easy.
Mikel has had to compete against many big schools such as Austintown. Defeating these schools is no easy feat for Mikel. Yet in Flatley’s mind she keeps cool because she has been swimming with these people since she was little. Therefore, she doesn’t think of them as big, separate teams because they were all on the same team once. In fact, one of her main motivations are her friends. Mikel states, “My teammates give me the motivation to practice so that I can do better at the meet.” Some of her best memories come from when she was younger and making new friends in the sport she loves.
In fact her favorite memory of swimming was when she was 10 years old. Mikel made the Lake Erie Zone Team and qualified for the meet in Indianapolis. She states, “We had a team hotel and got assigned roommates. The meet was fun and I made a lot of friends.” Even Mikel, a great and determined swimmer, knows making friends and enjoying what you do is important. Congratulations Mikel on all of your achievements! Go out and swim for the stars!