Angel Tree

Tricia Bair, Writer

Halloween is over and the leaves are falling quick. We all know what is next, it’s that time for the sparkling white flakes to begin falling. With that comes some Christmas spirit and all of the things that go on during this wonderful time. Every child deserves a gift on Christmas morning whether it’s a gaming system to simply a new pair of jeans. Either way nobody should go without receiving something, that’s why we have so many charities that make sure these children get what they deserve.
The Salvation Army is a wonderful charity, they do the Angel Tree every year to help support the families that are trying to have a good Christmas this year. Donations and financial assistance provide Christmas dinners, clothing, and toys for families in need, including families of prisoners. Angel Tree was created by The Salvation Army in 1979 by Majors Charles and Shirley White when they worked with a Lynchburg, Virginia shopping mall to provide clothing and toys for children at Christmas time.
Many places set up the Angel tree to help support the families at many locations. It ranges from all ages of children and then once you take an Angel off the tree, the joy starts to spread already. Even if you’re thinking you don’t have the money to buy a gift, anything helps, even a pair of gloves. Another option is to take one with a friend! You both can get one gift for the one child. If you become interested, Springfield High school is going to have an Angel Tree set up right by the lunchroom where you can come talk to one of the members of NHS and receive the information you will need to help out many children this Christmas. Each student can get up to two angels, but if you decide to participate you are only required to take one. The season is all about giving, so by doing this it will give you such a great feeling to know that you have helped others and gave them the holiday spirit. Start spreading the joy this season!