Everyone’s Hairy in November

Brianna Gleghorn, Writer

If you are walking down the street and see some hairy people, then it must be November. No-Shave November is a month long event where people who are participating do not shave the whole month. When someone notices the excessive hair and asks why, that prompts a discussion on getting checked for cancer. The idea is that when cancer patients go through chemo therapy, they lose their hair, so to bring awareness people grow their hair.
Instead of putting money towards a haircut or a wax, donate the money to the cause. This event isn’t just in the U.S., it has spread all through the world. Countries such as Ireland, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Spain, the United Kingdom, Israel, South Africa, Taiwan have this event to raise awareness. No-Shave November actually started in 1999 by a few young men in Melbourne, Australia. This deadly disease has affected so many people and with the money from this cause the world can get one step closer to solving this medical mystery. Although there is a lot known about cancer, there is no actual cure.
The chances of cancer are so high that 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer. An article from the National Cancer Institute said “In 2016, an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States and 595,690 people will die from the disease.”
There are a lot of different types of cancer but the most common for men is prostate and the for women it is breast cancer. A lot of men do not believe they can get breast cancer but there is a 1 in 1,000 chance of a guy getting breast cancer. There are five different categories of cancer: Carcinomas (most common cancer) begin in the skin or tissues that line the internal organs, sarcomas develop in the bone, cartilage, fat, muscle or other connective tissues, leukemia begins in the blood and bone marrow, lymphomas start in the immune system, and central nervous system cancers develop in the brain and spinal cord.
The three main treatments of cancer are surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. When most people think of a cancer patient they think of someone with no hair, which is the result of chemotherapy. Therefore, let’s try to do our part to helping find a cure for this cancer and others, and thank you to those bringing awareness to the cause by participating in No-Shave November.