Games have themes not just rules

Back to Article
Back to Article

Games have themes not just rules

Tricia Bair, Writer

Have you ever attended a basketball or football game at Springfield Local? If you have then you know that the student section always has a theme. The students are always there to support their team with the best spirit. They dress alike or all dress in a theme that they have chosen. It’s a unique way to show school spirit!
The themes for games are all picked and promoted by the students. It’s a somewhat new tradition for the students to have a theme for every game including away games. The teams really love it and appreciate the student section more because of the the support shown by the themes.
The theme corresponds to the things that are popular to the time. The harlem shake was huge about 2 years ago. The students would all dress up in random things; for instance, one student dressed up as a banana and one dressed up as a ketchup bottle. Then at half time when the song came on they all started dancing like crazy.
They don’t just do wild things all the time, sometimes it’s just a simple theme like “white out”. Usually white out is a theme for a home game because the team is wearing their white jerseys for basketball. South Range is our biggest rival in any sport here at Springfield. When we play them the theme is always “camo,” and the motto is “you can’t see us.” The students go all out for big rival games for football and basketball. T-shirts are usually made and everyone tends to buy one. This is all coordinated by the student body which is usually the seniors who pick out the themes and make the t-shirts.
Having these themes for the games not only shows the school spirit, it also brings everyone together. The students are just as involved in the games as the players. They get heartbroken when we don’t win and they cheer each other on to play their best. We always go someplace to eat afterward as a big group, the students and players, win or lose.
This tradition that has been started by an anonymous person will keep going for many years to come. It will also be something that the teams will enjoy as well as the students. The school spirit and pride will last forever.