Dear Coffee, I Love You

Brianna Gleghorn, Writer

Eighty-three percent of American adults drink coffee. That is an average of three cups a day per person, or 587 million cups. This isn’t even counting the new teenager trend of drinking Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Personally coffee is a necessity to my everyday life but some people can’t stand the taste. My favorite coffee shop is StoneFruit. This coffee haven is on Market Street in Boardman across from the hospital. The calm surroundings and smell of fresh coffee is the best place to relax and even get schoolwork or writing done. The friendliness of the baristas make people keep coming back again and again. The modern music that plays in the background is soothing and allows customers to relax and talk with friends or even do work.
I started drinking coffee at age nine and haven’t stopped since. Of course when I was nine I added more sugar and creamer than coffee. There is a common myth that coffee will stunt your growth and that is why children shouldn’t drink it. The reality of this is that coffee contains caffeine which stimulates the central nervous system. Though there is no proven evidence that caffeine stunts children’s growth, people who suddenly stop drinking coffee can experience headaches, irritability, and fatigue.
Besides giving people the boost they need in the morning, coffee does have some additional benefits. Coffee supposedly lowers the risk of heart disease, cirrhosis of the liver, risk of type 2 diabetes, risk of Alzheimer’s, depression, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis and cancer. Black coffee is low in fat and calories and supplies a great amount of antioxidants that help protect a person’s health. Certain risks have been linked to drinking large amounts of black coffee, but rest assured that a cup of coffee every morning is safe. Keep in mind five spoonfuls of sugar and a gallon of creamer is not the best picture of heath.
Not only is coffee healthy but it is lucrative. The coffee industry makes $30 billion dollars a year. According to a recent NCA study, one-third of U.S. adults have been drinking gourmet coffee every day. At the same time, those drinking traditional coffee dropped from 56 percent in 2012 to 49 percent this year. Gourmet coffee includes fancy lattes or espressos and even exotic beans. These fancy coffees attract customers because of their names and brands. The gourmet coffees look very tempting but they are also more expensive than just a regular cup of joe. Coffee shops not only thrive because of their beverages but also their style and the look of their store.
Coffee is not only the best because of the taste but also because of the culture. People use the phrase “let’s meet for coffee” and it is often used as a first date setting. Coffee is more than a choice of beverage. This beverage is a relaxing cup of relief for all who indulge.