Celebrating Last Season, Looking Ahead to Next Season: Springfield Tigers Softball

Marlie Applegarth

The Springfield Tigers softball team of 2017 had an overall successful year. Led by head coach Bill Amero, the Tigers came out of last softball season with a large number of wins. Along with that, the softball team defeated their rivals, the South Range Raiders, in a tight game. The Tigers were able to defeat the Raiders with a score of 3-2. This took place at the softball field at Springfield Local High School in the spring of 2017. This year, the Tigers hope to continue to win and impress the opposing teams.

The softball team’s success wasn’t just luck. A lot of credit should be given to the girls on the team for their practice and hard work. Many of them worked in the winter before the softball season or in the summer as part of a travel softball team. This hard work combined with the natural talent of the team was the reason they were able to win games against tough opponents. Junior, Jacqueline Kish, stated, “We had a good season. I’m proud to be part of such a great team and a great group of girls.” Although they had a good season, the team didn’t go far in tournaments and lost to Columbiana in the first round. Overall, the Tigers softball team accomplished many things, and learned from their mistakes when they hit some rough patches.

The Tigers softball team is hoping to continue being successful and looks forward to the upcoming season. Another good year of softball is greatly anticipated. The team will be losing six seniors from last year, which is a big change. Thankfully, many key players from last year will be returning to the team. Their experience on the field will be helpful when trying to make up for the loss of the departed seniors. Junior, Makenzy Capouellez, stated, “We have a good group of girls this upcoming season and a lot of people will have to step up to fill the roles of the past seniors.” Trying to follow a good season the next year is a challenge because people expect the team to be put together and be ready to play all the time. The pressure is going to be on the Springfield softball team in the upcoming season to live up to the expectations of themselves and others.