True Leaders Are Not Born, They are Grown. Springfield Students Making the Best Better Through 4-H

Cheyenne Heffner

The 2017 4-H showing season is over for many students at Springfield High School, but the excitement for this activity continues to permeate the school. 4-H members completed projects ranging from still projects such as art, woodworking, photography, and collectables to livestock projects such as hogs, cattle, horses and much more. Springfield Students contribute to a large number of Mahoning County 4-H members and its many projects. Members with their projects and/or animals have the opportunity to attend State Fair and represent Mahoning County after county judging if they are chosen as State Fair participants.

For the livestock end of 4-H, competitors do not have to go through a judging process like the still projects in order to compete at the Ohio State Fair but must raise a seperate animal that is intended just for the Ohio State Fair and make sure all registration deadlines are met.  After the State Fair is over and participants come home it is time to work endlessly on preparing their county animals to be ready for the Mahoning County Fair. Freshman, Tori Blakeman takes a steer to the Canfield Fair every year. Blakeman explains that “Taking a steer takes a lot of hard work and dedication.” Blakeman’s hard work and dedication paid off at the 2017 Canfield Fair when she placed third in her weight class with her steer Cosmo.

The Members of Mahoning County Junior Fair Board (JFB) work year round preparing for making each year a success. Max Seymour a junior at Springfield Local and MCCTC took dairy cattle to the 2017 Canfield Fair and is a current JFB member and has been on the board for four years now. He states, “Junior Fair Board has been a life changing organization that promotes a good work ethic in young people.” JFB allows members to work closely with Senior Fair Board Directors and learn the behind the scene details it takes to make such a large event happen and run smoothly.

4-H Royal Court is another part of the Mahoning County Jr. Fair.  Royal Court is a selected group of young men and women who are chosen on their accomplishments within 4-H and their interview skills. A king and queen are crowned during the Canfield Fair. The king, queen, and court will then have the opportunity to represent the Mahoning County Jr. Fair during activities and also at other County Fairs throughout the year.   

A common misconception is that 4-H is just something for kids to do over summer break, but this is not true. 4-H offers a wide variety of opportunities for students to better themselves through scholarship, leadership roles, public speaking, and influential connections that last a lifetime.

3.5 million youth are involved in 4-H all over the world and are proving that true leaders are not born, they are grown. 4-H helps children build life skills with hands on opportunities and where members learn by doing. These students that are involved in 4-H in Springfield are not only making themselves better but are trying to find ways to make their 4-H club, community, country and their world better.