Rss

Springfield Students Making the Best Better Through 4-H

The 2017 4-H showing season is over for students at Springfield High School. Many students here participate in 4-H, with the projects ranging from art, woodworking, hogs, cattle, horses and much more.

It takes time and effort to get a project to where students set their goals. Still projects have the opportunity to go to State Fair after county judging. For the livestock end of 4-H competitors still have the opportunity to go to State Fair and compete but you do not have to go through a judging process in order to compete there.

After the State Fair is over and participants come home it is time to work endlessly on the work that needs done for the county competition. Tori Blakeman, a freshman at SHS, takes a steer to the Canfield Fair every year. Blakeman explains that “Taking a steer is a lot of hard work and dedication.” Blakeman placed third in her weight class with her steer Cosmo.

Members of Mahoning County Junior Fair Board (JFB) work though all the seasons preparing for the next coming fair making each one a success. Max Seymour, a junior and a current JFB member, has been on the board for four years now. He states, “Junior Fair Board has been a life changing organization that promotes good work ethic in young people.” He also shows dairy cattle in 4-H and has applied for royal court as well.

4-H is not an organization that is just there to give students something to do over summer break. 4-H offers a wide variety of opportunities for students to better themselves through scholarships, leadership abilities, public speaking, and provides influential connections that last a lifetime. 4-H not only sparks an interest in students in Springfield but all across the world. There are 3.5 million youth involved in 4-H internationally.