Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Marvel Sequel is Out of this World

Back to Article
Back to Article

Natalie Babinec

James Gunn does it again with the highly successful premiere of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.” The director of over 20 years does an excellent job of writing and directing this sequel to his first “Guardians of the Galaxy” film. Star-studded with actors including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, and even Sylvester Stallone, there’s no way this movie could be bad right?

In the film, leader of the Guardians Peter Quill, also known as Star Lord (Chris Pratt), journeys with his team to find his true family roots, making new allies and new enemies along the way. Their new journey leads them to find many new things, including a new villain, who they must conquer to try and save the galaxy…again.

Now there’s a ton of reasons why this movie turned out so well, but one of the biggest has to be the comedic relief of it all. While the movie is an action movie about saving the galaxy from certain doom, it’s probably one of the funniest superhero movies you’ll see this year. From ongoing jokes in the first movie like “I am Groot” being the only thing Groot (Vin Diesel) ever says, to the many new jokes in this movie, like any conversation held between Drax (Dave Bautista) and Mantis (Pom Klementieff).

It also helps that the movie is a feat of visual mastery, The CGI effects in the movie are absolutely stunning, making space travel and colorful alien creatures and planets look almost believably realistic. Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and Groot both are great examples of the extremely good effects, being that they are a talking raccoon and a talking tree.

Now while the film was essentially a good film, nothing is ever perfect. No sequel is ever as good as the original movie, though some may come close. It all depends on the story line and in some points the story seems repetitive, someone tries to take over the galaxy, there’s a battle, and then at the last possible moment the heroes save the day, all done with a comedic edge. It’s cliche but sometimes that’s just how the story goes.

With so many different main characters in the movie, the story may be sometimes hard to follow. At one point all of the characters became separated and involved in their own storylines. While this isn’t necessarily a bad thing it may be confusing to some audiences viewing the film who have trouble keeping up with what’s going on with who and how it effects the main plot of the movie.

With the amazing special effects and CGI in this movie to make this space action adventure story the most realistic looking as possible, it’s hard to imagine it being relatable to your actual life on earth, though it’s not as impossible as it seems. Throughout the movie multiple characters go through many problems everyday people have. Gamora (Zoe Saldana) struggles with sister issues throughout the first and most of the second movie, while Star Lord deals with father issues throughout the whole entire movie. Pair that with the awkward unspoken chemistry between Gamora and Star Lord and you get all kinds of relatable scenarios for an audience to empathize with.

Overall, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is an insanely compelling movie with loveable characters and a well thought out plot. The actors in the movie played their parts extremely well and the visual effects tied the whole thing together. Overall, I would rate this movie a definite 4.5/5.