American Sniper: The Most Lethal Sniper in U.S History

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jarrett Orbin

The movie American Sniper (2014) is an autobiography and it depicts what true acts of courage and bravery are. This film shows only a part of what our soldiers do overseas. Before September 11, 2001 Chris Kyle (the main character) was in High School and he was always getting bullied. As a result of this, Chris’s dad decided to have a talk with him and his younger brother, Jeff. Later on in the movie it shows Chris and his brother as lost rodeo stars going nowhere. That’s when Chris decides he wants to join the U.S Special Forces after seeing the 1998 attacks on the U.S embassies in Tanzania and Kenya.

Chris enlisted in the U.S Navy and easily completed the basic training part. Chris then wanted a harder challenge so he decided to go for the Navy SEALs. The next part in his training was Basic Underwater Demolition Seal (BUDS) training. BUDS is a way for the Navy to pick out the weaker cadets. Training was very difficult and it put Kyle through excruciating pain more often than not. At one point he thought about ringing the bell 3x which would mean you would quit but he did not want to to be bothered by walking over and ringing it, so he stayed with it and passed his training to become part of one of the most elite special forces known as the SEALs.

The film truly highlights what the training is like. People should see this movie because it will give them a better understanding of what it really is like to be in the special forces and even open their eyes to disorders like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or commonly known as PTSD that veterans may get from serving multiple tours and witnessing a traumatic event like Chris.

Chris was assigned to Seal Team 3 which is the Sniper Element Charlie platoon. Chris served in many vital battles like Operation Iraqi Freedom. During his service as a sniper the Iraqis put a $80,000 bounty for his death by the insurgents and they even nicknamed him al-Shaitan Ramadi which translate to “The Devil of Ramadi” in English.

Due to the strong graphics, intense violence, disturbing effects, and vulgar language this movie was rated R. Throughout the movie there were multiple scenes that showcased these qualities. Audience members who may be sensitive to seeing movies such as this should be warned of the fact that there are segments that contain sexual innuendos, soldiers being killed, and children being shot.

My opinion of this movie is that it’s a 8/10. There are countless parts where you are on the edge of your seat and can feel the difficult choices that the main character has to make. The reason for giving this film only an 8/10 is because I feel like the producer could have went more in depth into Chris’s life. Overall, this was a good military movie for those interested in the topic.