Superbad Not Bad At All!

Anthony Verterano

The comedy Superbad (2007) is about the typical high school kids trying to make it big and be the life of the party. It easily ranks as one of the best comedies of the 2000’s. The plot is based on  kids in high school that aren’t exactly the most popular who are trying to breakout before senior year is over. It involves Seth (Jonah Hill) and Evan (Michael Cera) on the journey to get alcohol Jonah’s high school crush’s party. Jonah has been trying to date this girl since freshman year. He believes that if he can impress her that this could be his chance to date her before everyone goes away to college. It’s set up for a possible add on to the series but we haven’t seen any evidence of that yet.

The movie has created the perfect pair of comedians. Jonah Hill really does a good job as the fed up high school student that’s determined on getting his girl. While he includes his witty puns and his smart remarks towards Michael and Mclovin. Cera is perfect for the role with his awkward but humorous vibe he gives off in the movie. Also another major role in the movie is Mclovin (Christopher Mintz-Plasse). He is one of Ceras close friends while Hill despises him. He is also going to be Ceras roommate in college.

The film has many positives. The director Greg Mottola really nailed it when it came to deciding who their actors were going to be. Cera and Hill are a combo that is unmatched in the film industry. Since this film came out there hasn’t really been any movies that were quite like this one except Project X. Project X was based about a kid who has the house to himself for his birthday and he throws a party of the century. The only comedy duo that may excel them is Seth Rogan and James Franco. We only get to see very little of Seth Rogen in this film though, sadly.

This film is honestly one of my personal favorites. It really hits spot on with the scene and the time period. This movie screams 2000’s. It really comes from the references and appearances of early Internet and Smartphones. I feel like the Early 2000’s were perfect for kids to grow up in because you could still have fun because there was a lack of surveillance and the early internet age and it just mixed so perfectly and this is portrayed well in the film. I would have to rate the movie as a 9.5/10 and I would highly recommend it to my peers.

The film in itself is a hands down amazing film. Although its amazing, its not a perfect film. Some of my problems with the movie is the lack of a set up to the story. When you begin watching the movie you just are kind of thrown into the scenario of these two kids about to graduate high school that are invited to a party and need alcohol. There’s very little background about the characters and their life before.

Another negative takeaway from this film has to be the lack of character development. Due to the fact this is a comedy it’s understandable that there is not much character development. There was a slight bit of development with the Mclovin character after he began hanging out with the cops in the film, showing him becoming more “rebellious.”

The suburban town was also portrayed very well.  They picked a good place and honestly it made me feel a little bit like I was walking around in suburbs in my area.  They also portrayed the secondary characters well too. The extras walking down the road fit the scene and time period well.

The text and language they used in the movie was spot on too. The slang they used when just talking was accurate. I laughed because there were multiple occasions when they were saying “LOL.” Then they also would just be talking about the same hot topics of the time period and joking about it. Overall, they nailed the text and language.

All in all,  this movie is just about perfect. They did a perfect job relaying the time period in the movie, and also did well with tying in the typical teenage party. This movie is full of good laughs and it will go down as one of the best movies of all time.  I’m going to rate it a 9.5/10, the title is “Superbad” but it ain’t bad at all.