Rss

Jessica Swartz

My name is Jessica Swartz and I have been involved in yearbook for the past three years of my high school career. Each year I have gained more responsibility in caring for the yearbook, and this year I have been given the title of Yearbook Editor. After I graduate with the class of 2018, I hope to leave the care of the yearbook in good hands of a dedicated individual that will hopefully have as much interest in this yearbook as me. I wish that underclassman much luck in capturing the memories and heart of the school in years to come.

When I became a freshman, I decided to become more involved with my school. I have been involved in Track, Book Club, Art Club, Spanish Club, Drama Club, Science Club, Yearbook,  NHS, and much more throughout my four years at Springfield. However, deciding to become a Springfield Majorette has been my favorite. It took hard work, countless hours, and a lot of bruises to become what I am today. I am proud of myself for always working towards improving my skills and proud of those in my team for all of the encouragement before a performance. The most interesting and slightly concerning aspect of it has been twirling fire batons and fire knives during the halftime shows at football games. Seeing how the crowd watches in awe, and knowing some are holding their breath because it’s not something that just anyone can do, makes me feel like I’m where I’m meant to be and that all of my hard work had paid off.

Outside of school, I try to keep myself busy. I work on the weekends and volunteer at Freedom Church in New Middletown. On Wednesday nights I have youth group where I sing on the worship team and on Friday nights I attend the football games and cheer on the Tigers. My time outside of school is just as hectic as my time in school; however, I find my ways to deal with the chaos. I enjoy listening to my music on Pandora or Spotify and I find projects to work on. I enjoy reading, writing, singing, and painting. Anything that acts as a creative outlet I usually take delight in. Outside of school hours is, more often than not, when I find myself being more involved socially. I make time to involve those I hold near and dear to my heart in my life in efforts to keep them close and continue going on adventures and making memories.

Something I love about creating the yearbook is the fact that I am able to contribute to making a compilation of memories for students to look back on. My goal is for this book to be timeless, humorous, and heartwarming. Years from now, when I am sitting down in the morning with my coffee at my kitchen table, I hope to open this book and smile and laugh and take delight in the memories that I had created for myself. Not only do I have the opportunity to put my best efforts into this memoir, but I also have the ability to show off the unique students at Springfield.

My goals for my senior year is to create memories and opportunities for myself. I hope to enjoy my time as my high school era comes to an end. I don’t want to get caught up in the chaos with college applications, tests, and studying to the point where I miss everything good about my last year. In yearbook I want to keep those memories alive with all of the students. I don’t want to forget about the amazing victory against Western Reserve or the time that my class got covered in shaving cream in the homecoming parade. I don’t want to miss out on this short time of my life and I want to keep a positive attitude. With that said, I will leave my reader with a quote that has stuck with me: “The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem,” from Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Previous Post

Next Post