A Very Merry Christmas: Science Club Style

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ellie Centofanti

Mrs. Dunn runs Springfield Local’s science club that takes place in her classroom during seventh period and after the school day ends.  Many times students give presentations during club meetings that happen about once a month. The presentations can widely vary dealing with anything science.

Mrs. Dunn encourages students to broaden their understanding of science and present topics not covered already in their science curriculum. There are two parties students can attend, and snacks are provided. Our presenters this month were Madison Lacivita, Ava Wiery and Zach Ebert. Madison Lacivita talked about the chemistry behind Christmas. Ava Wiery talked all about the eye and how it sees, along with all the different parts of the human eye. Zach ended the meeting with talking about forest fires, and lastly Ava Wiery sang a parody of “Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” using the periodic table of elements. In which she used Iron as the red pigmented element, in comparison to Rudolph’s red nose. Christmas sweaters were permitted for this day in honor of the holiday.  

In May another party will be held to end the school year. Pizza again will be provided along with other snacks.“Science Club is a great opportunity for students to share their science interests with other students,” exclaims Mrs.Dunn.