Stranger Things 2: Worth the Hype?

Marlie Applegarth

On October 27, 2017 season two of the hit show Stranger Things was released on Netflix. With around 8.2 million people watching season one in its first sixteen days on Netflix, fans had high hopes for the second season. The show focuses on five children by the names of Mike Wheeler (Finn Wolfhard), Lucas Sinclair (Caleb McLaughlin), Dustin Henderson (Gaten Matarazzo), Will Byers (Noah Schnapp), and Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown). Stranger Things is set in the early 1980s in Hawkins, Indiana. Season one focused on the frantic search for Will, when he went missing one night. Will’s worried mother is portrayed by award-winning actress, Winona Ryder. In season two, the children are trying to live normal lives after what they went through in season one, but find that is not possible, as their past problems return and new problems arise. A couple of new characters, siblings Max Mayfield (Sadie Sink) and Billy Hargrove (Dacre Montgomery), are also thrown into the mix. Season two of Stranger Things is a very thrilling and captivating show.

Stranger Things 2 has many positive aspects. One of them is the casting of actors in the show. Every actor portrays their character perfectly. In season two, the viewers feel a connection to every single character. This is because of the things they go through and their personalities. The actors bring their characters to life and add a lot of excitement into the show. The casting of the children is especially great. They make the characters more relatable to the show’s audience. The viewer can also tell that the actors are very professional and dedicated to making their performance believable. In every situation, they have the right facial expressions and give off the right feeling to the viewer. Another positive is the multiple plot twists throughout the show. Every time you think you know what’s going on, someone or something surprises you. For example, I thought that all of the characters would easily get out of the building that was swarming with “Demidogs,” but this is not at all what happened. These plot twists keep the viewer on the edge of their seat and wanting more.

The show has very few negative aspects, but one thing that could be improved upon is the prolonging of some of the plot. Sometimes, it feels as though the reunion of characters is drawn out too much. In the beginning of the season, Eleven was separated from her friends and they didn’t know she was alive. Throughout the different episodes it seems as though Eleven might make herself known to her friends, but then she doesn’t and it is a disappointment to the viewer. However, this could also be viewed as a positive because it builds anticipation and allows the viewer to make guesses about what might happen with Eleven.

The show also has a lot of characterization, especially for the character Steve Harrington, portrayed by Joe Keery. In most of the first season, Steve was seen as an antagonist, and he only had interactions with a couple other characters such as Nancy Wheeler (Natalia Dyer) and Jonathan Byers (Charlie Heaton). In Stranger Things 2, we see Steve develop into a more caring and considerate person. He also becomes a big part of the show by developing a relationship with the children, especially Dustin. Some even consider this a motherly or fatherly relationship. Steve tries to protect the children and offers Dustin advice to help him deal with his girl troubles. He also helps them save everyone from “Demidogs” and “The Upside Down,” which cause a lot of conflict throughout the show. In the first season, the viewers didn’t really care about Steve. But with all of the wonderful character development in season two, the viewers connect to Steve and care about what happens to him.

If I were to rate Stranger Things 2 on a scale from 1-5, it would be a five. I would watch this show again and again if I could. It’s exciting and entrancing. I highly recommend this show to anyone who enjoys the genres of drama, fantasy, or science fiction, along with a little scare now and then. But beware, once you start watching, you can’t stop until you finish the whole season. So clear your schedule and get to it!