A Cup of Joe Makes you Go!

Coffee Should be Allowed in Class

Brianna Phillips

Coffee doesn’t only affect your morning, it also affects your future. In order to put in a good day’s work at the office, someone would most likely need some coffee to do it. What they may not know is how they are being affected long term. Recently, a study was released by Medical News Today that proves that coffee is actually beneficial for your health. If this is the case, then why can’t students have it in class?

At 7:30 a.m. students at Springfield High School are supposed to be in their seats while teachers take their attendance. Most students wake up around 5:30 to 6:30 in the morning so that they are ready for school. High school students are normally preoccupied with homework, studying, or after school activities which could take them all night. Normally high schoolers tend to go to sleep later and not think about how tired they will be in the morning. Students are told that they are not allowed to take and drink coffee in class, but they are forced to go to classes tired. Coffee could help to eliminate kids sleeping in class and it could also help children get better test grades by being more awake when taking them. The way coffee can helps is by blocking the effects of adenosine, which is a chemical in the brain that makes you sleepy.  Not only could coffee help students academically, it also has added long term health benefits.

Something schools should take into consideration is that coffee actually helps to prevent type two diabetes. Research according to Medical News Today has proven that people who increase their coffee intake by more than one cup a day for four years have a 11% lower chance of having type two diabetes. Coffee is also proven to significantly lower the chances of  Parkinson’s disease. Coffee has also been linked to the reduction of both liver cancer and liver disease.

The final reason why coffee should be allowed in school is because it helps reduce depression in teens. The National Institute of Mental Health states that kids in their teens and middle twenties are at the age of being more depressed. Students in both college and high school are dealing with a very large amount of stress. Coffee could be a remedy for depression and stress in young adults.  Not only could a morning cup of Joe get a the students moving in the morning, they could reap many other physical and mental benefits as well.