A Cup a Day Keeps the Detentions Away…Or Does it?

Coffee Should be Allowed in Class?

Brianna Phillips

?Coffee doesn’t only affect your morning, it also affects your future.The majority of people wanting a productive edge start off their day with a cup of coffee. What they don’t know is how they are being affected long term. Recently, a study was released by Medical News Today that proves that coffee is actually beneficial for your health. If that statement is true, then why are we not allowed to drink coffee in school?

At 7:30 in the morning students at Springfield are supposed to be in their seats in homeroom. When polled about 75% of SLHS students are dragging themselves out of bed from 6:30 to 7:00 in the morning for school. In the evening, high school students are normally preoccupied with homework, studying, or after school activities which could take them all night. Which means high schoolers tend to go to sleep later and not think about how tired they will be in the morning. Students are not allowed to drink coffee in class, so they are forced to go to class tired. When sophomore Savannah Sheeley was asked about coffee she stated, “it is a way for us to stay awake on a bad day.”

Not only could it help students start off on the right foot, but coffee could even help to eliminate kids sleeping in class, and it could potentially help students get better test grades by being more awake.  In addition, coffee can help students because it blocks the effects of adenosine, which is a chemical in the brain that makes you sleepy.

Not only could coffee help students academically, it could also add long term health benefits. Something schools should take into consideration is that coffee actually helps to prevent type two diabetes. Research according to Medical News Today has proven that people who increase their coffee intake by more than one cup a day for four years have a 11% lower chance of having type two diabetes. Coffee is also proven to significantly lower the chances of  Parkinson’s disease. Coffee also has the ability to reduce both liver cancer and liver disease.

If increased academic achievement wasn’t enough, coffee also helps reduce depression in teens. The National Institute of Mental Health states that kids in their teens and middle twenties are more likely than adults to experience depression. Students in both college and high school are dealing with a lot of stress. Not only could a morning cup of Joe get students moving in the morning, students could reap many other physical and mental benefits as well.

When Springfield Local’s principal was interviewed over the topic of coffee, he was more than happy to speak about the subject. When asked why are we not allowed to drink coffee throughout the day his answer was, “Primarily if you spill it it’s a lot more difficult to clean up than water.” He also said because coffee is normally in a mug which could conceal what students are drinking. Students caught drinking coffee will receive a detention and teachers allowing this will also be fined $10 for not enforcing the rules.

Though DeFelice’s justification makes sense, coffee is still sold in the in the cafeteria as an attempt to make profit which seems to be contradictory.