Donkeys and Basketball: A Fun Fall Event

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ellie Centofanti

As many may already know donkey basketball took place on Saturday November 18, 2017 at Springfield local High School. This was a funny and enjoyable activity used to raise money for the senior class.

The purpose of the activity is to attempt to play basketball while riding a donkey. There are many rules that must be followed. In order to shoot you must be on the donkey. You are allowed to be off your donkey while rebounding and passing the basketball to your fellow teammates as long as your teammate is on the donkey. In other words in order to pass at least one teammate must be on their donkey. At all times you are required to be attached to your donkey by the leash. If both teams are tied after the six minutes, it then goes into overtime and next point wins. Only junior and seniors were allowed to participate, with an exception of a few 16 year old sophomores that filled in for the teams.The teams included junior girls, junior boys, senior girls, senior boys, alumni and faculty members.

The first game was the alumni vs the facility, with the facility winning in overtime. The facility consisted of Mr. Guerriero, Mrs.Angelo, Mr. Snyder, and Mrs.Dunn. “I was just glad Mr. Snyder was on my team,” said Mr. Guerriero.

Next was the junior girls and junior boys match which also went to overtime and the girls won. “It was a fun experience, and being able to beat the junior boys made it even better,” said Mariah Johnson. After this game there was an intermission with free donkey rides for kids. Lastly, the senior girls played the senior boys, with the boys taking the win.

As you know, donkeys also have to go to the bathroom like any other living thing, and while playing on the basketball court that could be a problem. Thanks to the help of Mr. and Mrs. Crowe they were able to clean up anything the donkeys left behind quite efficiently. “Wasn’t our first time scooping up poop, and won’t be our last,” exclaimed Mrs. Crowe.

We used the company Buckeye Donkey Basketball that provided us with the donkeys and a set of rules.The donkeys varied from very short to extremely tall, and some very calm while others were stubborn. Mrs. Wilson is the class advisor of the senior class and organized this fundraiser. “It’s all about making memories and having fun, no one will remember what they learned in every specific class throughout high school, but surely no one will forget the day they got to ride a donkey while playing donkey basketball,” added Mrs.Wilson.