Wishes Granted: Mrs. Dunn’s Contributions to Science Club

Marlie Applegarth

Springfield Local High School’s very own science club advisor, Mrs. Dunn, has worked hard to develop the science program. At the end of October, 2017, Mrs. Dunn and the science club officers applied for a grant for the science club because they don’t have an independent booster club to raise money for them. In a letter to the school’s superintendent, Mr. Yazvac, the Board of Education, and the Optimist Club Liaison, Mrs. Dunn and the science club officers wrote about the goals of the science club and what the grant and supplies would be used for.

Mrs. Dunn has been teaching at Springfield Local High School for sixteen years. She currently teaches Integrated Science 1, Chemistry, and Physics. In Mrs. Dunn’s previous workplace, she was the advisor of the Environmental Club. She wanted the science club at SLHS to be broader, encompassing all student’s interests, not just environmental science. In her experiences in graduate school, science meetings usually involved graduate students and scientists sharing their research interests with each other. Mrs. Dunn patterned Springfield Local High School’s Science Club after this model.  

Springfield’s Science Club began twelve years ago. It was volunteer for the first eight years, but became an official club the last four years. This year, the science club consists of 57 members. Mrs. Dunn wrote that the mission of the club was to, “provide science enrichment opportunities outside of the regular curriculum to inspire and encourage students’ interest in science.” The new supplies will be used at science club meetings and will contribute to students expanding their knowledge on sciences such as chemistry and physics.

In December, Mrs. Dunn received the $500 Optimist Club Endowment Grant to be used for supplies for club meetings. The science club supplies range from a Blob-a-Lamp, which is like a lava lamp, to candles that burn different colors, and additional supplies from Educational Innovations Inc. Science club Secretary, Zoe Renaldy, wrote in the letter, “Having the ability to work with these experiments exposes members to a new level of learning the sciences around us that they may have never considered before.”

The science club vice president, Mara Humphries, stated in the letter, “an escape room activity kit for our science club would be fun and beneficial. It will let us practice our skills using the scientific method to solve problems in a fun and productive way.” The other officers also explained in the letter how their supplies could be useful to help students learn more about various fields of interest science. Science club president, Madison LaCivita, stated, “One activity shows laws of gravity and motion, which is not only interesting to physics students but also other students who are in other science classes. Discovering how inventions work expresses great identification and analytical skills.”